View a listing of all our programs, workshops, and events—including our best-selling Happiness Retreat, Silent Meditation Retreat, and Ayurveda Wellness Cleanses.
This autumn sweet potato and rice dish combines beautiful ingredients for a bright medley that’s appropriate in fall or winter. Depending on your tastes or location, you can use the type of sweet potato that’s local or your favorite. White yams, Covington sweet potatoes, and Oriental sweet potatoes are personal favorites. This dish is great eaten alone for a simple warm, one-meal supper or with a side of warm soup and steamed leafy greens for a full meal.
An autumn staple, warm sweet potatoes have a grounding effect, which helps balance the vata-inclinations of fall. They are, of course, super tasty!
RECIPE: Autumn Steamed Sweet Potatoes with Rice
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 lbs sweet potato
- Pinch of salt
- Smattering of ghee
- Rinse the rice a few times and place the rice in the cooking container. Add the water and allow to soak for 30 minutes (if you are in a hurry, you can skip this step).
- Scrub and cut the sweet potato into ½ inch cubes. Allow the sweet potato cubes to soak in water for five minutes and then drain the water. The soak helps remove the bitterness.
- If using a rice cooker, you can combine all the ingredients (including the salt and ghee) in the rice cooker and cook as normal.
- If using a stove and pot, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low to medium heat for 10–15 minutes. Remove the lid, stir and cook for another 10–15 minutes. For a more pasty consistency, cook a little longer and season to taste.
Fresh sweet potatoes will make this dish naturally sweet.
Small Group Inquiry Request
Note: You will receive an email confirming our receipt of your inquiry.
Our peak season runs April–November, so space fills up quickly during that time.