Warm late-summer days are perfect for enjoying the bounty of the season. A fresh summer salad is a great way to take advantage of the wonderful flavor and nutritional value of in-season vegetables, including an Ayurvedic favorite—green beans.
Regardless of your body type, or dosha, this salad is a delicious delight that will help you balance the effects of the season.
Although most beans are harder for Vata to digest, green beans are one of the exceptions to the rule. This green bean salad, with sauteed squash and red onion, is especially balancing for Vata.
Pitta may be extra aggravated during the summer months, so it’s best to introduce more hydrating and cooling foods. Salads are a summer necessity for Pitta.
Kapha is balanced by cooked, whole foods that are lighter and drier in texture. These foods are ideally served warm or hot. For a summer salad, room temperature or slightly warm cooked whole grains mixed with fresh vegetables are best for Kapha digestion.
Green Bean Salad
- 1 cup of green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Optional: 1/4 cup crumbled goat’s milk cheese (chevre)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard or brown mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 each salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add green beans and boil for 3 minutes, or until slightly tender. The green beans should still have a light crunch.
- While green beans are cooking, fill a mixing bowl with ice water. When the green beans are done cooking, fill a mixing bowl with ice water. When the green beans are done cooking, drain thoroughly and immediately add to the ice water to shop the cooking process. Drain in a colander. Pat dry and set aside.
- To make a vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients together, adding the olive oil last. Set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a saute pan on medium heat.
- Add red onion and cook until just tender and slightly translucent. Add yellow squash and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Take squash mixture off heat and add to green beans. Stir all the vegetables together and add the vinaigrette.
- Serve topped with crumbled goat cheese.
For Pitta: Replace the cooked squash and onions with fresh chopped and seeded cucumber. Replace cilantro with mint for extra cooling
For Kapha: Add 1 cup cooked room temperature couscous. For easy couscous, pour 1/2 cup couscous into 3/4 cup boiling water, stir once with a spoon, cover with a lid, and remove from heat. Wait 10 minutes, and then fluff couscous with a fork. Let cool before mixing into the salad.