Do you sometimes feel a dip in physical energy? Especially in winter, about 1 in 15 people suffer from seasonal affective disorder, also interpreted to be winter tiredness. Or, do you worry that your clothes aren’t fitting as well due to sudden weight gain? If either or both of these are happening, it sounds like you have a high amount of earth element in you.
According to Ayurveda, our body is made up of five elements and three doshas (the bio-dynamic forces)—vata (wind), pitta (fire), and kapha (earth). When these three doshas are in balance, they correspond to your best physical and mental traits, and as a result, you enjoy good health.
But at other times, there may develop an imbalance in these three doshas and they will then correspond to symptoms that may cause difficulty. An imbalance can result from improper diet, the influences of different times of day, seasonal changes, etc.
Signs of Kapha Imbalance
- Colds with excessive mucus
- Sinus pain and pressure
- Disturbed bowel movements (diarrhea or constipation)
- Sudden weight gain
- Dips in physical strength
If you’re experiencing these, then you may have a kapha dosha imbalance. You need kapha balancing recipes and foods.
- Bitter, astringent and pungent tasting food will help in balancing Kapha dosha.
- Excessive food consumption can lead to Kapha imbalance.
- Eat light and easy-to-digest meals.
- Reduce sugar in your Kapha dosha recipes.
- Honey is a better sweetener for Kapha.