If you are someone who thinks that eggs cannot be veganized, wait until you taste this vegan version of scrambled eggs. I would say it tastes better than the original version with a healthy dose of the good nutrients and protein.
Scrambled eggs are a very popular go-to breakfast item, and this recipe is perfect for those who are transitioning into a vegan diet or are missing this old favorite.
Vegan Tofu Scramble
- 8 oz. or 1 cup Hemp tofu (A great alternative to soy tofu)
- 1 inch piece of ginger—finely chopped or according to taste
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- Half of a tomato, chopped
- Small bunch—about 1 cup—spinach
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of coriander powder
- Salt & pepper, according to taste
- 1 Tbsp sesame or coconut oil
- Optional parsley and sunflower seeds for garnish
- Heat the oil in a flat pan. Add the cumin and ginger when the oil gets hot.
- When the cumin seeds are slightly roasted, add the tofu and other spices and stir fry them for a couple of minutes.
- When tofu gets dry, add the veggies (carrots, zucchini, and tomato, and anything else you might want!). You can also add extra water sparingly so it won’t burn.
- Once the veggies are soft, turn the heat off and add the spinach.
- Cover the pan for 1–2 minutes so the spinach gets cooked.
- Garnish with some fresh parsley and sunflower seeds.
- Hemp tofu is a great source of proteins and is safer than soy tofu.
- Carrots are a good source of Vitamins A, K, and B6.
- Zucchini has anti-inflammatory properties and provides antioxidants.
- Turmeric has anti-cancer and other beneficial properties per Ayurvedic principles and scientific studies.