Getting Ready for Summer
If the lazy days of summer are looking more like the crazy days, take a few deep breaths and try an Ayurvedic approach to calming down your lifestyle. The word Ayurveda comes from two Sanskrit words—Ayur meaning life and veda meaning knowledge or science. Developed around 1500 BC, Ayurveda is an approach to living in harmony with the universe in order to achieve optimum health.
3 Tips for Summer
As you plan your summer schedule, here are three tips to help you have a de-stressing, Ayurvedic season.
- Give yourself a massage. Massaging your feet and scalp with warm oil is grounding, supports downward moving energy, and helps soothe the mind. The Shankara Ayurveda Wellness team recommends lavender, bergamot, and jasmine oils for stress relief and relaxation.
- Meditate. Meditation is a life-long practice, but even just 20 minutes can improve the quality of your day. Two steps to get started:
- Generate moments of awareness during the day. Finding your breath and being present while not in formal practice helps to evolve your meditation habits.
- Listen to instructional tapes, CDs, or here is a YouTube playlist of Guided Meditations by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
- Catch some Z’s. Trouble falling asleep? A bath and a cup of boiled milk or chamomile tea may do the trick. The drinks are grounding and soothing in nature. If you like, add a pinch of nutmeg, cardamom, and some ghee to the milk.
Visit us on the mountaintop!
Shankara Ayurveda Wellness offers workshops, retreats and treatments focused on Ayurveda, one of which is an authentic Panchakarma program. Our Panchakarma cleanses are led by a team of Ayurveda experts and are customized to each person. Offered throughout the year, Panchakarma includes Ayurvedic treatments, cooking demonstrations, yoga, meditation, vegetarian meals, and take-home education and tools.