This is one of the best kale salads I’ve ever made and that says a lot because I’ve made hundreds of kale salads. This raw kale salad is not only quick to toss together but it’s simple, can be whipped up in 10 minutes and uses a few basic ingredients. You can serve this vegan kale salad with apples, cranberries or any other fruit you’d like if you can’t find fresh figs.
- 1 head dinosaur (flat) kale, finely chopped and stems removed
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. olive oil, extra-virgin
- sea salt to taste
- 1 head Swiss chard, finely chopped and stems removed
- 1 medium purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 large fresh figs, halved
- 2 tbsp. walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 4 tbsp. tahini, well-stirred
- 6 tbsp. warm water
- 1 tsp. chickpea miso paste, optional
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- chili powder, pinch
- Massage the kale in a large mixing bowl using your hands with the lemon juice, olive oil, and sea salt, to taste. Massage for two minutes, or until the kale is very tender and dark green.
- Add the Swiss chard, cabbage, figs, walnuts, mint, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together all the dressing ingredients until it forms your desired dressing consistency.
- Add more water or lemon juice, if needed. Drizzle this dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Discover the missing pieces keeping you from optimal health, weight, and happiness at my upcoming retreat at the Art of Living Retreat Center, The Whole Body Transformation. This retreat is designed for anyone who wants to transform their life beyond medical care. The entire retreat will be a very safe space for women to open up and heal the deeper issues that are going on inside their bodies that medicine does not address.
This article is excerpted from TheHealthyApple.com, and is used with permission from the author.
Amie Valpone, HHC, AAP is a chef, nutritionist, and the author of the best-selling cookbook Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation & Reset Your Body. She is the founder of TheHealthyApple.com, where she discusses how she healed herself after 10 years of chronic illness from lyme disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and hypothyroidism.
Interested in learning more about Ayurveda and the programs at the Art of Living Retreat Center? Check out our annual catalog here!