When your body wants to communicate with you, it sends you signals. These signals are a response to one of two things: external stimulus or internal stimulus. The internal stimulus of intuition can feel just like a ‘real’ sensory experience from the outside world (like in dreams) or it can feel like the idea of a sensory experience from the outside world (like in daydreams). To get a better idea of how these inner sensations work, let’s look at some examples of how intuition speaks to us through our intuitive—or supersensory—impressions.
The Intuitive Sense of Vision
Intuitive visions is seeing images, daydreams, or visions in your mind’s eye. One example would be an artist who makes an illustration of a beautiful woman from an image in his head, only to stumble on the old drawing years later—and realize that, though he had not yet met her at the time, the woman in the portrait looks exactly like his wife. Intuition works beyond time and space, so we can use our sense of intuitive vision to connect with events in our future.
The Intuitive Sense of Hearing
Intuitive hearing is hearing sounds, words, phrases, or songs in your head. For example, perhaps someone gets out of bed with the song The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades running through their head. All morning long, the song’s chorus keeps playing, mentally, over and over, and then later that day, they get a big job offer—the one they had been hoping for! Sometimes, our intuition gives us a head’s up for big moments in life. Song lyrics, poetry, and recurring phrases in our head can be a great source of information.
The Intuitive Sense of Feeling
Intuitive feeling is experiencing sensations or feelings with an apparent physical source. For example, say a woman is driving home from school and, out of the blue, starts to get the chills. All over her body, she feels flushed and tingly.
Nothing is wrong with her physically, but the feeling is so intense that she pulls over the car. She later learns that, at that moment, a family member fell ill, and so she immediately goes to support them in their time of need.
In this case, the woman’s intuition simply wants to give her the message that she needs to pay attention to this family member’s situation. Intuitive experience never intends to scare us, only to get our attention and/or share important information.
The Intuitive Sense of Taste
Intuitive taste is getting a craving for or tasting certain foods for no apparent reason. Without knowing why, a woman might all of a sudden want to eat oranges. Though she has never been big on them in the past, they suddenly appeal to her. For weeks, she eats bags of oranges. She doesn’t remember them ever tasting so delicious. Shortly after, at a doctor’s visit, she learns that her immune system is compromised.
The vitamin C in those oranges is just what her inner doctor has ordered to keep her healthy. In this case, the woman’s body knows it needs more vitamin C to stay strong and healthy, and so intuitive resonance guides the woman to the right food to fix her imbalance.
The Intuitive Sense of Smell
Intuitive smell is communication or healing through the power of scent. For example, a man might love the smell of sandalwood. It’s his favorite cologne, and he prefers it over others. He feels uplifted and relaxed when he puts it on each morning, and he often reapplies it when things get stressful throughout the day. His body intuitively attracts him to a scent that is therapeutic for him. The relaxing and calming properties of this particular essential oil stays with him throughout the day and offers a small respite from his hectic lifestyle.
You have probably had experiences of physical intuition in your own life. Now, hopefully, it will be easier for you to acknowledge them when they happen. You are not making them up. These kinds of impressions don’t come from your imagination. They may come from nowhere, but remember, what seems to come from nowhere is really coming from somewhere very important.
Each new impression is the beginning of a conversation with your inner guidance system. If you find yourself unexpectedly attracted to something, ask yourself what benefit it might bring. Ask why your inner guidance is drawing you to it. If you find yourself with an unexplainable gut feeling, ask yourself what your gut is telling you to do. Then do it.
The most important thing is that you recognize and accept your intuitive nudges as opening conversations in a meaningful dialogue with your inner guidance system. The key to opening this intuitive pathway is learning to listen to your body. It is talking to you all the time. The more you listen, the more you will heal and attune to wellness in all aspects of your life.
Examples of Physical Intuition
- Being intuitively guided to stretch or move your body a certain way during exercise
- Having a strong gut feeling about something
- Dietary preferences
- Envisioning things in your mind’s eye
- Empathically sensing other people’s feelings
- Being moved by certain smells or scents
- Feeling comfortable with the energy flow in your environment (feng shui)
- A song you can’t get out of your head
- Intuitively selecting the right wellness program for your body
- Having a calling to heal others
- The entire sensory experience of your dreams
Meditation: Unblocking and Rebalancing
This simple meditation reconnects you with your body and helps break through intuitive and energetic blocks. You can practice it any time you need it and before doing any intuition work, to quiet your mind and raise your energy level.
First, find a nice, quiet place where you will not be disturbed. Sit on a comfortable chair, under a tree in your backyard, on your bed with pillows, or anywhere you can sit upright for ten minutes without discomfort or distraction.
- To begin, breathe deeply. Smile. Feel how powerfully a simple shifts the energy of your entire body. Let it lift you up into a bright, brilliant light. As you move into it, feel its vibrant warmth penetrating every cell in your body. Move so deeply into the warm, radiant light that you become part of it. You are in the light and it is in you.
- Feel the light grow strong and warm at the base of your spine; feel it support you, holding you, always. You are safe.
- Then, a glowing, transmuting light begins to ascend your spine, dissolving any resistance it encounters in your body— rebalancing imbalances, calming pain, and vitalizing all aspects of your being. You are healed.
- From the base of your spine, the light moves upward through your core, infusing it with inner strength and creativity, transmuting any self-doubt. You are powerful.
- From your core, the light moves upward to your heart, infusing it with love and emotional healing, transmuting any blocked feelings. You are loved.
- From your heart, the light moves upward to your throat, moving you to speak your truth, dissolving any inhibitions or resistance. You are free to be who you are.
- From your throat, the light moves upward to your forehead, illuminating your intuitive vision, reconnecting you to your intuition and infusing you with clarity. You are wise.
- From your forehead, the light moves, finally, upward to your crown, connecting your consciousness to super-consciousness. You are united with all that is above and beyond. You are one. Unimpeded, this light shines in you and through you, illuminating any darkness, healing any ailments, and lifting you up into truth itself.
- Say this affirmation, either silently or out loud: I am the healer. I heal myself; I heal the world.
- Stay here as long as you like. Soak up the peaceful feeling. If your mind wanders, bring it back with a smile. Pay attention to any insights that arrive from stillness. In this calm, quiet place, your intuition will begin to speak.
- When you are ready, take a final healing breath, expressing gratitude for your experience. Imagine beautiful white light surrounding you always, wherever you go and whatever you do. Seal your meditation with a smile and open your eyes.
In your intuition journal, record any insights or meaningful experiences that occurred during your meditation. You can practice this meditation any time.