In alignment with the CDC guidelines, all guests will be required to show proof of vaccination OR a lab-certified Covid-19 test that produced negative results taken within 72 hours of their arrival at the Center when checking in.
Nurture a Healthy & Enduring Relationship
Because couples today expect far more from intimate relationships than previous generations, we need a new paradigm for loving and being loved.
In this retreat with therapist, teacher, speaker, and award-winning author Dr. Alexandra Solomon, couples learn to develop relational self-awareness—a set of frameworks and tools grounded in relationship science and clinical wisdom that she has been developing over the last two decades.
A concept at the cornerstone of all healthy intimate relationships, relational self-awareness is comprised of five pillars: self-reflection, self-knowledge, sexual self-awareness, self-expression, and self-expansion. Informed by Integrative Systemic Therapy and supportive of adults improving how they behave, think, and feel in their relationships, it involves understanding—in a deep and heartfelt way— how each of us “shows up” for love in our lives.
Relational Self-Awareness helps partners relate to themselves with self-compassion and curiosity so that they can create and nurture a healthy and enduring relationship with each other.
Throughout the program, engage your heart, mind, body, and soul with lectures, activities, and discussions that nourish connection and enhance communication. Dr. Solomon also shares invaluable (and immediately applicable) tools and frameworks to love bravely, as we explore
- Why couples seem to have the same fights over and over
- How to better navigate the competing demands of parenting, work, and extended family
- Why sexual intimacy is so difficult to maintain over time
- How to take care of our intimate relationship and keep from growing apart.
Loving Bravely is a unique and valuable opportunity to gain practices for transforming conflict, pain, and other relationship difficulties into improved sexual and emotional intimacy, connection, and communication.
Recommended reading and listening
Participants should familiarize themselves with Dr. Solomon’s work by reading Loving Bravely and Taking Sexy Back before attending the retreat; both are available wherever books are sold.
It is also recommended that participants listen to some episodes of Dr. Solomon’s podcast, Reimagining Love.
Dr. Alexandra H. Solomon is a licensed clinical psychologist, couples therapist, award-winning author of Loving Bravely and Taking Sexy Back, host of the podcast, Reimagining Love, and professor at Northwestern University. …
Rooms & Pricing
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of checkout. (Rates below are per person.)
A Retreat for Couples
Sept 16–18, 2022
Subject to change.
Friday 7:30–9:00 pm
Saturday 9:30 am–12:30 pm and 2:00–4:00 pm
Sunday 9:30–11:30 am Room checkout is 11:00 am; luggage may be held at Reception.
All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST) unless otherwise noted.
4:00 pm Check-in begins; Rooms are ready by 4:00 pm, but if you arrive early we will hold your luggage at Reception.
6:00–7:00 pm Dinner
7:00–7:20 pm Guest Orientation Session (Venue: Dining Hall)
Actual schedules and venues may vary; please confirm with Front Desk upon check-in.
Apart from the activities in your program schedule, we offer the following optional complementary activities. (Please join only if your program schedule permits.)
- 9:45–10:45 am Yoga | Thu–Sun
- 11:00 am–12:00 pm Mind & Meditation | Thu–Sun
- 1:30–2:15 pm Guided Hike | Assemble at Shankara Reception | Sat
- 2:30–3:45 pm Ayurveda Cooking Class* | Tulsi Kitchen
Thu: Sweet Treats • Sat: Chef’s Seasonal Recipe
- 4:15–5:15 pm Yoga | Wed–Sat
- 5:30–6:00 pm Guided Meditation | Wed–Sat
- 7:30–8:15 pm Meditative Chants/Kirtan | Wed–Sat
Saturday kirtan is outdoor by the bonfire; weather permitting.
*Included with Wellness Escapes and R&R; Other participants: $35.00/per person
- 10:00 am–6:00 pm Saturday
Clay Handbuilding $35.00 (1 hour)
Throwing Wheel $45.00 (2 hours)
Hours: 9:00 am–6:30 pm daily
We invite you to also make reservations for consultations, therapies, and treatments at our award-winning Shankara Ayurveda Wellness prior to arrival in order to ensure availability. Please call 828-264-8382 for details. Additional cost.
On-Campus Program FAQs
Unless otherwise indicated, our programs are open to participants 18 years of age and older.
- Refunds are available (less a $50 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guests not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however, guests may enjoy these items in their rooms.
Our property is always smoke-free.
Yes, we ask that guests with food allergies simply inform us so we can communicate those needs to our chef. Typically, we label potential allergens such as gluten, dairy, and nuts.
Boone, NC 28607
Discover deep rest and rejuvenation on our tranquil mountaintop campus set amidst 380 acres of pristine forest in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone, North Carolina.