In alignment with the CDC guidelines, all guests will be required to show proof of vaccination OR a lab-certified Covid-19 test that produced negative results taken within 72 hours of their arrival at the Center when checking in.
Tell a Better Story, Live a Better Life.
Nothing takes more energy than trying to be someone or something that you’re not. Yet, most of us spend our days living behind a series of masks created to enable us to fit in to the spaces of our work, our family, and life in general.
Finding or reclaiming your voice after divorce, the death of a loved one, a major life change, or a pandemic is crucial to living a fully engaged and joyful life. In this special weekend, sociologist, author, storyteller, and mother Dr. Bertice Berry helps you reclaim the power of your own authentic voice.
Through effective storytelling, the coaching tools of Sherapy, and journaling, you
- Reclaim your authentic voice
- Find and appreciate your true self
- Gain a real understanding of caring for the Self
- Forge a new commitment to your own self-care
- Harness the ability to engage others through effective storytelling
- Become an effective and active listener.
Storytelling is giving an account of the past, while effective storytelling is sharing your account of the past as it relates to the present—offering hope for the future.
Sherapy was developed as a coaching tool for women in key executive positions. By engaging in active listening and story sharing on a consistent basis, participants become aware of the barriers to their success and are empowered to remove them.
Being around people who are different from us makes us more creative, diligent, and hard-working. Likewise, the more internally diverse we are as individuals, the more selective we can be in our own solutions. During the program, we assess your internal diversity and discuss ways to utilize the layers of your life in your own authenticity.
Join Dr. Berry for this life-changing weekend of reclaiming your authentic self through the use of your life stories. You will take home a personalized internal diversity assessment, new ideas, a commitment to self-care and lifelong learning, effective storytelling, and active listening skills.
Recommended reading and viewing Participants should familiarize themselves with Dr. Berry’s stories on Facebook and Instagram before attending the retreat. It is also recommended that participants watch the I AM documentary.
Sociologist, Bertice Berry, PhD, a best-selling author and award-winning lecturer, has been named Comedian of the Year, Lecturer of the Year, and Entertainer of the Year. She has published 11 best-selling books in both fiction and non-fiction and won numerous awards and accolades for both her writing and presentations.
Rooms & Pricing
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of checkout. (Rates below are per person.)
Premium 1-Bedroom Apartment w/Loft
- Fully Furnished 995 sq. ft. apartment(Max: 4 persons)
- 1 king bed and 2 twin beds or 1 Full Bed
- Washer & Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Ironing Board
- A Desk, chairs, and nightstand
- Flat-screen TV with Cable
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Refrigerator | Stove Range | Microwave
Finding Your Authentic Voice
The Power of Your Story
October 7–9, 2022
Subject to change.
Thursday 7:30–9:00 pm
Friday 9:30 am–12:30 pm and 2:00–4:00 pm
Saturday 9:30 am–12:30 pm and 2:00–4:00 pm
Sunday 9:30–11:30 am Room checkout is 11:00 am; luggage may be held at Reception.
All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST) unless otherwise noted.
4:00 pm Check-in begins; Rooms are ready by 4:00 pm, but if you arrive early we will hold your luggage at Reception.
6:00–7:00 pm Dinner
7:00–7:20 pm Guest Orientation Session (Venue: Dining Hall)
Actual schedules and venues may vary; please confirm with Front Desk upon check-in.
Apart from the activities in your program schedule, we offer the following optional complementary activities. (Please join only if your program schedule permits.)
- 9:45–10:45 am Yoga | Thu–Sun
- 11:00 am–12:00 pm Mind & Meditation | Thu–Sun
- 1:30–2:15 pm Guided Hike | Assemble at Shankara Reception | Sat
- 2:30–3:45 pm Ayurveda Cooking Class* | Tulsi Kitchen
Thu: Sweet Treats • Sat: Chef’s Seasonal Recipe
- 4:15–5:15 pm Yoga | Wed–Sat
- 5:30–6:00 pm Guided Meditation | Wed–Sat
- 7:30–8:15 pm Meditative Chants/Kirtan | Wed–Sat
Saturday kirtan is outdoor by the bonfire; weather permitting.
*Included with Wellness Escapes and R&R; Other participants: $35.00/per person
- 10:00 am–6:00 pm Saturday
Clay Handbuilding $35.00 (1 hour)
Throwing Wheel $45.00 (2 hours)
Hours: 9:00 am–6:30 pm daily
We invite you to also make reservations for consultations, therapies, and treatments at our award-winning Shankara Ayurveda Wellness prior to arrival in order to ensure availability. Please call 828-264-8382 for details. Additional cost.
On-Campus Program FAQs
Unless otherwise indicated, our programs are open to participants 18 years of age and older.
- Refunds are available (less a $50 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guests not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however, guests may enjoy these items in their rooms.
Our property is always smoke-free.
Yes, we ask that guests with food allergies simply inform us so we can communicate those needs to our chef. Typically, we label potential allergens such as gluten, dairy, and nuts.
We do have lodging and event venues that are ADA-compliant. Due to the topography of our mountain campus, some are easier to access than others, so please speak to Guest Services (800.392.6870) prior to registering to ensure we can best accommodate your needs. We also have shuttles that run frequently throughout the campus.
Boone, NC 28607
Discover deep rest and rejuvenation on our tranquil mountaintop campus set amidst 380 acres of pristine forest in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone, North Carolina.