In alignment with the CDC guidelines, all guests will be required to show proof of vaccination OR a lab-certified Covid-19 test that produced negative results taken within 72 hours of their arrival at the Center when checking in.
Appreciate What You Create
The Zentangle Method is an easy-to-learn, meditative way to explore and create by drawing structured patterns using a simple step-by-step approach. As a result, beautiful artwork emerges—you don’t have to be an experienced artist!
With Zentangle’s newest semi-transparent Translucen-Z tiles, you’ll journey into the Zenth dimension and explore endless opportunities for layering tangles and creating patterns on both sides of the unique vellum-like surface.
This workshop concentrates on bringing light and perspective to art with the Zentangle method. Using in-depth, advanced Zentangle techniques and an array of fun new tools and materials, we create on both sides of the tile and see what happens when we light tangles from behind!
As we dive into the unique marks each one of us has to make, we look at the philosophical overlap such perspective has in our daily lives and
- Renew the creative spirit
- Experience increased focus
- Learn how to apply Zentangle philosophies to everyday situations
- Experience gratitude and appreciation for the creative space and surroundings.
Attendees receive a bounty of Zentangle supplies to use throughout the class and bonus tools to take home to continue their practice.
Join Martha Huggins and Molly Hollibaugh, daughters of Zentangle founders Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, as they guide you on this tangled journey through depth, light, and illusion.
This program is open to everyone.
Recommended Reading Familiarity with the Zentangle Method is highly recommended. Please refer to these resources.
Note Previous attendees have shared that using a battery-operated task light is helpful.
Martha Huggins uses the Zentangle Method to bring focus to life metaphors and taps into her yoga experience to guide students through their own natural process of finding their creative side. Martha has spent the last 12 years assisting her parents, Zentangle founders Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, and making her own spiritual and creative discoveries on her Zentangle journey.
Molly Hollibaugh has been an artist ever since she can remember and sees herself as a natural creative soul. She studied art and design in college and went on to work in both furniture and jewelry design. She was introduced to Zentangle, in its infancy, by her parents, Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, the founders of this amazing creative outlet. …
Rooms & Pricing
Private Hotel Room
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of checkout. (Rates below are per person.)
- King bed or two full beds
- Flat Screen TV
- Private Bath
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Daily Delicious Vegetarian Meals
- Complimentary Tea/Coffee & Fresh Fruit
- Daily Yoga & Meditation Classes
- Access to Gym & Steam Rooms
The Zentangle Method: Translucen-Z
Create Tangled Illusions Through Light and Perspective
April 20–23, 2023
Subject to change.
Thursday 7:30–9:00 pm
Friday & Saturday 9:30 am–12:30 pm and 2:00–4:00 pm
Sunday 9:30 –11:30 am Room checkout is 11:00 am; luggage may be held at Reception.
All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST) unless otherwise noted.
4:00 pm Check-in begins; Rooms are ready by 4:00 pm, but if you arrive early we will hold your luggage at Reception.
6:00–7:00 pm Dinner
7:00–7:20 pm Guest Orientation Session (Venue: Dining Hall)
Actual schedules and venues may vary; please confirm with Front Desk upon check-in.
Apart from the activities in your program schedule, we offer the following optional complementary activities. (Please join only if your program schedule permits.)
- 9:45–10:45 am Yoga | Thu–Sun
- 11:00 am–12:00 pm Mind & Meditation | Thu–Sun
- 1:30–2:15 pm Guided Hike | Assemble at Shankara Reception | Sat
- 2:30–3:45 pm Ayurveda Cooking Class* | Tulsi Kitchen
Thu: Sweet Treats • Sat: Chef’s Seasonal Recipe
- 4:15–5:15 pm Yoga | Wed–Sat
- 5:30–6:00 pm Guided Meditation | Wed–Sat
- 7:30–8:15 pm Meditative Chants/Kirtan | Wed–Sat
Saturday kirtan is outdoor by the bonfire; weather permitting.
*Included with Wellness Escapes and R&R; Other participants: $35.00/per person
- 10:00 am–6:00 pm Saturday
Clay Handbuilding $35.00 (1 hour)
Throwing Wheel $45.00 (2 hours)
Hours: 9:00 am–6:30 pm daily
We invite you to also make reservations for consultations, therapies, and treatments at our award-winning Shankara Ayurveda Wellness prior to arrival in order to ensure availability. Please call 828-264-8382 for details. Additional cost.
On-Campus Program FAQs
Unless otherwise indicated, our programs are open to participants 18 years of age and older.
- Refunds are available (less a $50 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guests not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however, guests may enjoy these items in their rooms.
Our property is always smoke-free.
Yes, we ask that guests with food allergies simply inform us so we can communicate those needs to our chef. Typically, we label potential allergens such as gluten, dairy, and nuts.
We do have lodging and event venues that are ADA-compliant. Due to the topography of our mountain campus, some are easier to access than others, so please speak to Guest Services (800.392.6870) prior to registering to ensure we can best accommodate your needs. We also have shuttles that run frequently throughout the campus.
Boone, NC 28607
Discover deep rest and rejuvenation on our tranquil mountaintop campus set amidst 380 acres of pristine forest in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone, North Carolina.