Plug Back into Your Fundamental Vitality
Are you emotionally depleted—exhausted at your core? Do you run from one task to another but rarely, if ever, stop to consider what you want? Do you know what everyone in your life needs but have no idea what you need?
In this experiential program, psychotherapist and author Nancy Colier helps you identify the cultural conditioning and root causes of your exhaustion—to understand how always trying to be likable severs you from your authenticity and fundamental vitality.
Through teaching sessions, exercises, journaling, dyads, small group contemplation, and discussion, you learn to
- Stop defining yourself by other people’s perceptions;
break the “it’s my fault” habit
- Prioritize your own needs without feeling guilty
- Start listening to your inner voice of want—not just should
- Speak your real truth (even when it risks not being liked)
- Value your relationship with yourself (as much as you value relationships with others)
- Stop depleting yourself trying to keep everyone happy
- Reconnect with your own wants, needs, and fundamental power.
- Stop defining yourself by other people’s perceptions;
You will gain new levels of awareness, empowerment, self-compassion, and courage, returning home replenished—and truly home with yourself.
Become aware of the cultural and family conditioning that leads to your exhaustion and keeps you trapped and drained.
Break out of the likability cage—always trying to be likable at the expense of being real and empowered.
Break the "it's my fault" and "make everyone happy" habits; learn to tolerate other people's disappointment without fixing it.
Discover and claim your own wants and needs without shame and judgment.
Find the courage to speak your truth even when it comes with the risk of not being pleasing.
Welcome the whole of you, including those parts you've been taught are unwanted and unwelcome.
Nancy Colier is a psychotherapist, interfaith minister, and longtime student of Eastern spirituality. She is best-selling author of The Emotionally Exhausted Woman: Why You’re Feeling Depleted and How to Get What You Need, as well as numerous other books. …
Rooms & Pricing
Private Hotel Room
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of checkout. (Rates below are per person.)
- King bed or two full beds
- Flat Screen TV
- Private Bath
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Daily Delicious Vegetarian Meals
- Complimentary Tea/Coffee & Fresh Fruit
- Daily Yoga & Meditation Classes
- Access to Gym & Steam Rooms
The Emotionally Exhausted Woman
Claiming Your Inherent Vitality
July 14–16, 2023
Subject to change.
Friday 7:30–9:00 pm
Saturday 9:30 am–12:30 pm, 2:00–4:00 pm, and 7:30–8:30 pm
Sunday 9:30–12:00 pm and 1:30–3:00 pm
Room checkout is 11:00 am; luggage may be held at Reception.
All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST) unless otherwise noted.
4:00 pm Check-in begins; Rooms are ready by 4:00 pm, but if you arrive early we will hold your luggage at Reception.
6:00–7:00 pm Dinner
7:00–7:20 pm Guest Orientation Session (Venue: Dining Hall)
Actual schedules and venues may vary; please confirm with Front Desk upon check-in.
Apart from the activities in your program schedule, we offer the following optional complementary activities. (Please join only if your program schedule permits.)
- 9:45–10:45 am Yoga | Thu–Sun
- 11:00 am–12:00 pm Mind & Meditation | Thu–Sun
- 1:30–2:15 pm Guided Hike | Assemble at Shankara Reception | Sat
- 2:30–3:45 pm Ayurveda Cooking Class* | Tulsi Kitchen
Thu: Sweet Treats • Sat: Chef’s Seasonal Recipe
- 4:15–5:15 pm Yoga | Wed–Sat
- 5:30–6:00 pm Guided Meditation | Wed–Sat
- 7:30–8:15 pm Meditative Chants/Kirtan | Wed–Sat
Saturday kirtan is outdoor by the bonfire; weather permitting.
*Included with Wellness Escapes and R&R; Other participants: $35.00/per person
- 11:00 am–7:00 pm Friday & Saturday
Hand Building $55 | 1 hour
Wednesday 2:00–8:00 pm
Thursday–Saturday 9:00 am–6:00 pm
Sunday 8:00 am–2:00 pm
We encourage you to also make reservations for consultations, therapies, and treatments at our award-winning Shankara Ayurveda Wellness at least two weeks prior to your arrival date to ensure availability. Please call 828.264.8382 for details. Additional cost.
On-Campus Program FAQs
Unless otherwise indicated, our programs are open to participants 18 years of age and older.
- Refunds are available (less a $50 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guests not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however, guests may enjoy these items in their rooms.
Our property is always smoke-free.
Yes, we ask that guests with food allergies simply inform us so we can communicate those needs to our chef. Typically, we label potential allergens such as gluten, dairy, and nuts.
We do have lodging and event venues that are ADA-compliant. Due to the topography of our mountain campus, some are easier to access than others, so please speak to Guest Services (800.392.6870) prior to registering to ensure we can best accommodate your needs. We also have shuttles that run frequently throughout the campus.
Boone, NC 28607
Discover deep rest and rejuvenation on our tranquil mountaintop campus set amidst 380 acres of pristine forest in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone, North Carolina.