In alignment with the CDC guidelines, all guests will be required to show proof of vaccination OR a lab-certified Covid-19 test that produced negative results taken within 72 hours of their arrival at the Center when checking in.
Teacher-trainer, author, and coach Rolf Gates—a leading voice in modern day yoga—is joined by meditation and movement teacher Kate Johnson in this experiential program of yoga and meditation instruction and practice in the context of sacred silence.
Rolf and Kate combine instructions from the Yoga Sutras with the teachings of the Buddha on mindfulness and compassion with periods of asana practice, as well as both seated and walking meditations.
Through group discussion, movement, journaling, dyads, and more, you’ll learn and experience
- In-depth mindfulness instruction
- How to thread a teaching through several different styles of practice
- Restorative time in nature and together in community
- Plenty of rest and good food.
Participants will take home a better understanding of the sacred practices of yoga and meditation, how to live them, and how to teach them.
This program is for teachers and experienced students of all levels. CEs available for Yoga Alliance–certified teachers.
Recommended listening (Link to come.)
Rolf Gates, author of the acclaimed book on yogic philosophy, Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga, and the newly released: Meditations on Intention and Being: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga, Mindfulness and Compassion, conducts yoga workshops, retreats, teacher trainings, and coaching and mentorship programs throughout the U.S. and abroad–and online. Rolf and his work have been featured in numerous media, including Yoga Journal, ORGINS, Natural Health, People Magazine, and Travel and Leisure’s 25 Top Yoga Studios in the World.
Kate Johnson is a meditation and movement teacher based in Philadelphia. She is a faculty member of MIT’s Presencing Institute, where she has trained hundreds of leaders and change-makers to use embodied, awareness-based approaches to systemic transformation. She also works as an organizational change consultant with Insyte Partners, a women-led boutique consulting firm. …
Rooms & Pricing
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of checkout. (Rates below are per person.)
Silence and Flow
A Silent Yoga and Meditation Retreat
August 4–7, 2022
Subject to change.
Thursday 7:30–9:00 pm
Friday 9:30 am–12:30 pm and 2:00–4:00 pm
Saturday 9:30 am–12:30 pm and 2:00–4:00 pm
Sunday 9:30–11:30 am Room checkout is 11:00 am; luggage may be held at Reception.
All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST) unless otherwise noted.
4:00 pm Check-in begins; Rooms are ready by 4:00 pm, but if you arrive early we will hold your luggage at Reception.
6:00–7:00 pm Dinner
7:00–7:20 pm Guest Orientation Session (Venue: Dining Hall)
Actual schedules and venues may vary; please confirm with Front Desk upon check-in.
Apart from the activities in your program schedule, we offer the following optional complementary activities. (Please join only if your program schedule permits.)
- 9:45–10:45 am Yoga | Thu–Sun
- 11:00 am–12:00 pm Mind & Meditation | Thu–Sun
- 1:30–2:15 pm Guided Hike | Assemble at Shankara Reception | Sat
- 2:30–3:45 pm Ayurveda Cooking Class* | Tulsi Kitchen
Thu: Sweet Treats • Sat: Chef’s Seasonal Recipe
- 4:15–5:15 pm Yoga | Wed–Sat
- 5:30–6:00 pm Guided Meditation | Wed–Sat
- 7:30–8:15 pm Meditative Chants/Kirtan | Wed–Sat
Saturday kirtan is outdoor by the bonfire; weather permitting.
*Included with Wellness Escapes and R&R; Other participants: $35.00/per person
- 10:00 am–6:00 pm Saturday
Clay Handbuilding $35.00 (1 hour)
Throwing Wheel $45.00 (2 hours)
Hours: 9:00 am–6:30 pm daily
We invite you to also make reservations for consultations, therapies, and treatments at our award-winning Shankara Ayurveda Wellness prior to arrival in order to ensure availability. Please call 828-264-8382 for details. Additional cost.
On-Campus Program FAQs
Unless otherwise indicated, our programs are open to participants 18 years of age and older.
- Refunds are available (less a $50 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guests not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however, guests may enjoy these items in their rooms.
Our property is always smoke-free.
Yes, we ask that guests with food allergies simply inform us so we can communicate those needs to our chef. Typically, we label potential allergens such as gluten, dairy, and nuts.
Boone, NC 28607
Discover deep rest and rejuvenation on our tranquil mountaintop campus set amidst 380 acres of pristine forest in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone, North Carolina.