At our core, we’re all creative beings; stories flourish within us, waiting to be shared. However, our ever-busy minds often stand in the way of clearly channeling our inner truth.
Together with author and yoga teacher, Lisa Jakub, you’ll explore the deep connection between writing and yoga as a way to connect with your innate creativity and to engage more deeply with life. You’ll be empowered to sail smoothly through creative blocks and use your creativity to quell your inner-critic, manage stress and anxiety, and find more peace and purpose in everyday life.
Through the powerful combination of yoga and writing, you will:
- Practice yoga postures to quiet the mind and promote creativity
- Connect with the transformative wisdom of writing as a tool for self-inquiry
- Learn to use fear and creative blocks as an ally
- Access your authentic voice on the page
- Discover ways to move deeper into your writing
- Use breathing exercises and other mindful activities to increase your mind-body connection
- Learn simple and effective tools for self-care
- Gain techniques to manage anxiety and increase joy
With Lisa’s guidance, you’ll cultivate a deeper connection to yourself and your inherent creativity, and learn how to remove blockages in your imagination’s natural flow. You’ll take home soothing breathing exercises, inspiring writing prompts, and techniques to manage everyday challenges.
This program is available to women of all yoga and writing skill levels.
Lisa Jakub is an author, writing teacher and a Kripalu yoga teacher. She grew up in Hollywood, acting in more than forty movies and TV shows, such as Mrs. Doubtfire and Independence Day. After an eighteen-year career, she left Los Angeles to search for a life that felt more authentic. She found that life through writing and yoga. Lisa is grateful for the opportunity to teach and share her passion with others. More
Rooms & Pricing
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of check-out. (Rates below are per person.)
Private Hotel Room
The private hotel room features either a king bed or two full beds, a flat screen TV, a refrigerator, a private bath and complimentary wifi.
Shared Hotel Room (2 People)
The shared hotel room features either a king bed or two full beds, a flat screen TV, a refrigerator, private bath and complimentary wifi. One other person of the same gender will share the room with you.
Private Retreat Room
The private retreat room has twin beds, a private bath and complimentary wifi.
Shared Retreat Room (2 People)
The shared retreat room has twin beds, a private bath and complimentary wifi. One other person of the same gender will share the room with you.
Shared Retreat Room (3 People)
The shared retreat room has twin beds, a private bath and complimentary wifi. Up to two more people of the same gender will share the room with you.
Women’s Yoga and Writing Retreat
With: Lisa Jakub
August 23 – 25, 2019
3:00 pm – Check-in
6:00 pm – 7 pm – Dinner
7:00 pm – 7:20 pm – AOLRC Orientation – MANDATORY FOR ALL GROUPS
7:30 pm – 9:00 pm – Program overview: introductions, writing prompt on intentions for the retreat, gentle yoga class to prepare for a good night’s sleep
7:30 am – 8:30 am – Morning Meditation/Yoga/Fitness
7:30 am – 9:30 am – Breakfast
9:30 am – 12:30 pm – Program Session: discussion of mindfulness and creativity, embodied cognition, and the importance of the mind-body connection. Writing prompts, group discussions and movement breaks will be included.
12:00 pm – 2:00 pm – Lunch
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm – Program Session: dealing with writer’s block, the inner critic, and creating boundaries around your creative work. Writing prompts, group discussions and movement breaks will be included.
4:00 pm – 7:30 pm – Free Time*
6:00 pm – 7:30 pm – Dinner
7:30 pm – 8:15pm – Meditative Chant — Kirtan (optional)
7:30 am – 8:30 am – Optional yoga class with Lisa
7:30 am – 9:30 am – Breakfast
9:30 am -11:30 am – Program wrap up: movement, final writing prompts, question and answer session, and review of tools to take home.
11:00 am – Check-out (luggage may be stored at reception)
12:00 pm – Lunch is included in your stay this day!
639 Whispering Hills Rd, Boone, North Carolina 28607
Discover deep rest and rejuvenation in our tranquil sanctuary set amidst 380 pristine acres high up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone, North Carolina—the perfect place to begin your journey to wellness.
For room reservations, spa retreats, and Art of Living Retreat Center (AOLRC) signature retreats, we have the following cancellation policy:
- Refunds are available (less a $50 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content. AOLRC reserves the right to cancel a program at any time. If AOLRC cancels a program, you will receive a full refund. Some programs may have special cancellation policies; see individual workshop descriptions. For all other retreats, please be sure to check the registration page specific to that retreat.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guest to not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however, guests may enjoy these items in their rooms.
Our property is always smoke-free.
Yes, we ask that guests with food allergies simply inform us so we can communicate those needs to our chef. Typically, we label potential allergens such as gluten, dairy, and nuts.