The Living Well: Art of Self Care Retreat is designed for health care professionals seeking to build a proficient practice for their own self-care and enrich their quality of life.
Health care professionals are inspired to serve their patients and the profession. But in the process of caring for their patient’s needs, the care provider is subject to many stressors, all of these can lead to stress and physician burnout.
The Living Well: Art of Self Care Retreat for HCPs provides you with an opportunity to learn simple practices that can enhance physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. By the end of the retreat, you will be equipped with specific techniques that can be practiced daily. This retreat is also designed to provide physicians and allied health professionals with an update on the latest research in yoga, breathing practices and meditation and their therapeutic applications, including benefits and risks.
The “Living Well: Art of Self Care Retreat” is a 30 hour Continuing Education Credit program combining 3 cornerstone techniques; “Sudarshan Kriya” and “Sahaj Samadhi Meditation” and “ Sri Sri Yoga” based on the ancient Vedic science of breath, the art of meditation and philosophy of yoga.
* Sudarshan Kriya® A unique powerful breathing practice using natural specific rhythms that facilitate the release of deep stress and harmonize the body and mind.
* Sahaj Samadhi Meditation® A personal practice of meditation that is natural and effortless to relax the mind and body into a state of deep and profound restfulness to unfold one’s own infinite potential.
* Sri Sri Yoga® A restorative practice of yoga including asanas such as “Padma-Sadhana®”, Sukshma Vyayam (Subtle Yoga), Sun-salutation, Yoga-Nidra and yogic wisdom. A holistic way to integrate and energize body, mind, breath and spirit.
The course is taught over 5 days with total 30 hours (30 hours onsite, followed by an OPTIONAL 2 hours follow-up session after 1-2 weeks either in person or online) The CME certificates are provided upon completion of the program. Participation in all sessions of the program is mandatory for CME Certificate.
A FREE 2-hour “Pre-Session Introductions to the Living Well Programs” as well as a 2-hour “Post-Session Follow-up to the Living Well Programs” is offered at specific times and venues, before and after the CME Activity respectively. These sessions are also approved to provide 1.5 Continuing Education Credits. For the schedule please contact the program coordinator.
Who Should Attend
The course is designed for Physicians, Physicians-in-Training (medical students, residents, fellows), Osteopath practitioners, Nurses, Allied healthcare professionals and Integrative medicine practitioners who want to incorporate the ancient and modern sciences for stress management and self-development into their daily lives.
Upon completion of this program, the participants will be able to:
- Recognize the connection between body, mind, breath and Self.
- Reflect on the tendencies of the mind and recognize how managing the mind can help bring awareness and alleviate stress and burnout.
- Relate to the science of breath and breathing techniques as tangible tools to increase energy and reduce stress.
- Identify and optimize the sources of energy to maximize personal well-being.
- Demonstrate, perform and practice Yoga asana, Breathing techniques, and unique process of “Sudarshan KriyaTM“
- Practice “Sahaj Samadhi Meditation” and follow the instructions to adhere to daily Meditation practice.
- Develop practical tools and social skills through reflective interactive processes.
- Incorporate the course’s knowledge into daily life to create regular self-care practices for life-long benefits.
- Yoga Asanas: Various gentle and vigorous postures including a specific sequence of invigorating and soothing yoga postures called “Padma-Sadhana®” and Sukshma Vyayam (Subtle Yoga)
- Yogic Science of Breathing – Pranayama: Various Breathing techniques including Victory Breath (also known as Ujjayi Breath), Bellows Breath (also known as Bhastrika), Shining Skull Breath (also known as Kapalbhati), Alternate Nostril Breathing (also known as Nadi Shodhan), Bee Breath (also known as Bhramari) and Yogic Breath
- Rhythmic Breathing – Sudarshan Kriya® (also known as SKY practice): This powerful breathing process is the centerpiece of the course and uses specific, natural rhythms that facilitate the release of deep stress and harmonize the body-mind complex.
- Sahaj Samadhi Meditation®: “Sahaj” means natural or effortless, “Samadhi” means the state of deep peace and rest that underlies thought and activity. This is an ancient meditation practice that allows the conscious mind to settle deeply into itself in a natural, effortless way.
- Yoga Psychology – Cognitive Behavioral Reframing based on timeless wisdom – Interactive experiential processes based on ancient and modern science.
- Mind/Body R & D – Yoga Genetics – Neuroplasticity
- Your Personal Self Care Routine for Improving Resilience
NYU-New York University Post-Graduate Medical School:-
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint provider ship of the NYU Post-Graduate Medical School and the Art of Living Foundation. The NYU Post-Graduate Medical School is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
CREDIT DESIGNATION STATEMENT
The NYU Post-Graduate Medical School designates this live activity for a maximum of 30 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
AHNA-American Holistic Nurses Association:-
“This continuing nursing education activity is approved by the American Holistic Nurses Association (AHNA), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission (ANCC) on Accreditation.”
Continuing Education Credits:
This program is approved for:-
Physicians: – CME Credits – 30 CME under the standards of Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) for MDs.
MD Participants will receive maximum 30 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
Nurses: CNE Credits – 30 Contact Hours Continuing Educational Credits for Nurses under the standards of American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Nurses will receive a maximum of 30 CNE contact hours.
Other HCPs: Certificate of Attendance for all other Health Care ProfessionalsParticipants who attend the “Pre-Session Introduction to the Living Well Programs” and “Post-Session Follow-up to the Living Well Programs” may earn up to 1.5 Continuing Education Credits additionally.
- Learning tools and techniques to prevent and reverse the burnout, enhancing personal and professional performance.
- Creating a daily self-care practice to live a happier and healthier life.
- Earning up to 30 AMA PRA Category 1TM CME credits for MDs and 30 AANP contact hours CNE credits for Nurses.
- Lifetime access to weekly Sudarshan KriyaTM practice groups in 10,000+ Art of Living centers around the world over 155 countries.
- Opportunity to connect with a global community of Meditating doctors and other HCPs.
Research has demonstrated that Sudarshan Kriya® and the related practices can:
- Reduce levels of stress (reduce cortisol – the “stress” hormone)
- Relieve anxiety and depression (mild, moderate and severe)
- Enhance well-being (Increase prolactin)
- Regulate brain function (increased mental focus, calmness and recovery from stressful stimuli, including PTSD)
- Support the immune system.
- Increase antioxidant protection.
- Help to restore normal sleep patterns.
More information on Sudarshan Kriya®, Sahaj Samadhi Meditation and Sri Sri Yoga can be found at:
- Sudarshan Kriya – Science of Breath
- Research – on SKY & Sahaj Meditation
- Meditation – Now & Then
- Sri Sri Yoga – Yoga Art of Living way
- Living Well Programs
Sejal has been on the path of yoga and meditation for about 20 years. Having a strong foundation for understanding health, in terms of mind-body-soul state with her training in Homeopathy, Yoga and Ayurveda, she teaches people of all walks of life about healthy living, how to effectively manage their mind and emotions, eliminate stress, live in harmony amid diversity and bring greater peace and joy into their lives. She has facilitated more than 15,000 hours of programs in mind-body wellness. She is the Founder & Director of Wellness and Life Style Excellence Center and a member of Yoga Academic Council at Sri Sri University, India. She writes regularly on yoga and healthy living in various print and digital media like Huffington Post, YOGANONYMOUS, etc. She facilitates the Happiness Program, Art of Living Yoga Retreats, Art of Living Yoga Teachers Training Program, Mind & Meditation Seminars and also Living Light Weight Loss program, Yoga and Marma Sessions at the Shankara Ayurveda Spa. Her gentle, loving, and authentic approach brings profoundness in her teaching.
Dr. Sarita is the DIRECTOR, is a Physician, Palliative Care and Pain Management Service, and CLINICAL COORDINATOR, Dept of Med Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center. She is specifically involved with training the medical students, medical residents and research activities in the institution.
A senior member of the faculty and certified instructor of yoga and meditation at the Art of Living Foundation and the International Association for Human Values, she has been teaching stress management and self-development programs to health care professionals, patients, hospital administrators and corporate leaders for more than 15 years.
Dr. Patel is the Co-Founder of Living Well Programs offered by the Art of Living Foundation. The programs teach effective mind-body resilience techniques supported by evidence-based research that addresses health care professionals burn out and help improve their personal and professional performance. She travels and conducts Living Well programs all over the country.
Dr. Patel has spoken on “Spirituality and Health” and such related topics in various health care institutions, government organizations and other corporation including IBM.
Dr. Patel is also a certified Ayurveda health counselor.
Rooms & Pricing
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of check-out. (Rates below are Per Person)
All sessions are mandatory to attend.
Wed May 8:
4-6 pm: Check-in
6-7 pm: Dinner and Meet and Greet
7-7.20 pm: AOLRC orientation
7.30-9 pm: The Secret of the Breath
Thurs May 9:
7.30-8.30 am: Morning Yoga
8:30-9:30 am: Breakfast
9.30 am-12.30 pm: The Rhythms of Life
12.30-1.30 pm: Lunch
1.30-4.15 pm: Free time*
4:15-6:15 pm: Deepening Our Experience
6.15-7.30 pm: Dinner
7.30-8.30pm: The science of chanting (optional) + Know Your Constitution – a questionnaire
Fri May 10:
7.30-8.30 am: Morning Yoga (optional)
8:30-9:30 am: Breakfast
9.30 am -12 pm: A new beginning of self-care routine
12-1.30 pm: Lunch
1.30-4 pm: Free time*
4-6 pm: Understanding Burnout and Self Care, Subtle Yoga (Sukshma Vyayam)
6-7.30 pm: Dinner
7.30-9 pm: Introduction and Initiation to Sahaj Samadhi Meditation
Sat May 11:
6-7 am: Morning Walk/Sunrise/Labyrinth Meditation (Weather permitting) or Journaling/Solitude 7-8.30 am: Morning Yoga
8.30-9.30 am: Breakfast
9.30 am-1 pm: Understanding Health, Wellness, and Yoga, Padmasadhana, Meditation practice
1-3 pm: Lunch and Free time*
3-6.30 pm: Chair Yoga, Understanding Yoga’s Subtle Anatomy and Meditation Practice
6.30-8 pm: Dinner with Presentation on Understanding Ayurveda
Sun May 12:
7-8.30am: Morning Yoga and Home practice guidelines
8.30-10 am: Breakfast and Check out
10 am-1 pm: Science of Yoga, Understanding Energy Centers, Energy Center Meditation
1-1.30 pm: Lunch with Q-A
Note: The schedule is subject to change to accommodate the flow of the course.
*Free time to enjoy a range of activities such as hiking, pottery, spa treatments, or simply unwind with a book whilst admiring the vastness of the mountain range
We recommend you to book the pottery and spa treatments in advance to avoid any disappointments.
639 Whispering Hills Rd, Boone, NC 28607
Discover deep rest and rejuvenation in a pristine natural setting in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone, North Carolina. Set amidst 380 acres of pristine forest high up in the Blue Ridge Mountains is a tranquil sanctuary. The perfect place to begin your journey to wellness. *NOTE* Please avoid using GPS…It will take you up a private road to a locked gate. Use directions provided on this site.
For room reservations, spa retreats, AOLRC signature retreats, we have the following cancellation policy:
- Refunds are available (less a $50 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day; if you do not show up; or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content. AOLRC reserves the right to cancel a program at any time. If AOLRC cancels a program, you will receive a full refund. Some programs may have special cancellation policies; see individual workshop descriptions. For all other retreats, please be sure to check the registration page specific to that retreat.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guest to not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however guests may enjoy these items in their rooms. That being said our property is always smoke-free.
Yes, we ask that guests with food allergies simply inform us so we can communicate those needs to our chef. Typically we label potential allergens such as gluten, dairy and nuts.