For health care professionals who want to go deeper into the tools to improve resilience and enrich their quality of life, the Living Well Intensive Retreat combines the powerful breathing practice of Sudarshan Kriya with the profoundly relaxing Sahaj Samadhi Meditation.
This 3-day retreat is an opportunity to learn simple self-care practices that
- Reduce stress, exhaustion, and compassion fatigue
- Enhance physical, mental, spiritual, and social well-being
- Help to navigate the challenges of personal and professional life with more tranquility and dynamism, resulting in improved performance.
The program also gives HCPs an opportunity to earn 20 CME/CNE credits as provided by joint partnership of Art of Living Foundation with NYU Post-Graduate Medical School and ANCC respectively. See below.
Upon completion of this program, you’ll be able to
- Recognize the connection between body, mind, breath, and Self
- Manage the mind to help bring awareness, alleviate stress and burnout
- Relate to the science of breath and breathing techniques as tangible tools to increase energy and reduce stress
- Identify and optimize the sources of energy to maximize personal well-being
- Demonstrate, perform, and practice yoga asana, breathing techniques, and the unique process of Sudarshan Kriya®
- Learn the science of consciousness—how to handle thoughts and the stress relief process during meditation
- Create a daily Sahaj Samadhi Meditation practice
- Incorporate what you learn into daily life to create regular self-care practices for life-long benefits.
Various gentle and vigorous postures including a specific sequence of invigorating and soothing yoga postures called Padma-Sadhana®.
Yogic Science of Breathing
Various Breathing techniques including Victory Breath (also known as Ujjayi Breath), Bellows Breath (also known as Bhastrika), Alternate Nostril Breathing (also known as Nadi Shodhan), and Bee Breath (also known as Bhramari).
Sudarshan Kriya® Yoga (also known as SKY practice) is a powerful breathing process that is the centerpiece of the course. It uses specific natural rhythms to facilitate the release of deep stress and harmonize the body-mind complex.
Sahaj Samadhi Meditation®
Sahaj means natural or effortless and Samadhi means the state of deep peace and rest that underlies thought and activity. This is an ancient meditation practice that allows the conscious mind to settle deeply into itself in a natural, effortless way.
Science of consciousness and its four states in context to meditation.
Cognitive Behavioral Reframing is an Interactive experiential processes based on ancient and modern science.
Yoga Genetics—Neuroplasticity—is used to develop your personal self-care routine for improving resilience.
- Learn tools and techniques to prevent and reverse the burnout, enhance personal and professional performance.
- Create a daily self-care practice to live a happier and healthier life.
- Earn up to 20 AMA PRA Category 1TM CME credits for MDs and 20 AANP contact hours CNE credits for Nurses.
- Lifetime access to weekly Sudarshan Kriya® practice groups in more than 10,000 Art of Living centers around the world in over 155 countries through Journey membership.
- Opportunity to connect with a global community of meditating doctors and other HCPs.
Research has demonstrated that Sudarshan Kriya® and related practices can
- Reduce levels of stress; reduce cortisol, the stress hormone
- Relieve anxiety and depression (mild, moderate, and severe)
- Enhance well-being (increase prolactin)
- Regulate brain function (increased mental focus, calmness, and recovery from stressful stimuli, including PTSD)
- Support the immune system
- Increase antioxidant protection
- Help to restore normal sleep patterns.
NYU—New York University Post-Graduate Medical School
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint provider ship of the NYU Post-Graduate Medical School and the Art of Living Foundation. The NYU Post-Graduate Medical School is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
CREDIT DESIGNATION STATEMENT
The NYU Post-Graduate Medical School designates this live activity for a maximum of 20 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
AHNA—American Holistic Nurses Association
This continuing nursing education activity is approved by the American Holistic Nurses Association (AHNA), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission (ANCC) on Accreditation.
Continuing Education Credits
This program is approved for the following continuing education credits.
CME Credits—20 CME under the standards of Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) for MDs.
MD Participants will receive a maximum of 20 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM.
CNE Credits—20 Contact Hours Continuing Educational Credits for Nurses under the standards of American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Nurses will receive a maximum of 20 CNE contact hours.
Other Health Care Professionals
Certificate of Attendance for all other Health Care Professionals.
Participants may also wish to attend the free 2-hour pre-session, Introduction to the Living Well Programs, and free 2-hour post-session, Follow-up to the Living Well Programs, to earn up to 1.5 additional continuing education credits. These sessions are offered at specific times and venues, before and after the program; please contact the program coordinator for the schedule.
More information on Sudarshan Kriya® and Sahaj Samadhi Meditation can be found at:
- Sudarshan Kriya – Science of Breath
- Research – on SKY & Sahaj Meditation
- Meditation – Now & Then
- Living Well Programs
Sejal Shah, E-RYT 500, is a Sri Sri School of Yoga teacher trainer with more than 30 years of experience practicing and teaching yoga and the facilitator of 20,000+ hours of mind-body wellness programs. Sejal teaches people from all walks of life about yogic ways of healthy living—how to effectively manage their stress, mind, and emotions, and find greater peace and joy to live life to its fullest. With a background in homeopathy (BHMS), yoga, meditation, and yoga therapy(C-IAYT), she brings together eastern wisdom and the modern science of mind-body wellness to support healing and transformation. She offers online private (one-on-one) yoga therapy sessions. If you would like to consult her, please fill out this interest form.
Sejal teaches the Happiness Retreat (aka SKY Breathe Meditation), Sahaj Samadhi Meditation, Sri Sri Yoga Deep Dive Retreat, and Healing Breaths programs at the Art of Living Retreat Center. She has written several eBooks you can download for free:
Rooms & Pricing
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of checkout. (Rates below are per person.)
All sessions are mandatory to attend.
Program Dates: Aug 16-18, 2019
Starts on: Friday, Aug 16 —3 pm to 9 pm (3-4 pm: Check-in)
Ends on: Sunday, Aug 18 — 2.30 pm
All sessions are mandatory to attend.
Friday, Aug 16:
3-4 pm: Check-in, Refreshment and Meet and Greet
4-6.30 pm: The Secret of the Breath
6.30-7 pm: Dinner
7-7.20 pm: AOLRC orientation
7.30-9 pm: Introduction and Initiation to Sahaj Samadhi Meditation
Saturday, Aug 17:
6-7.30 am: Morning Walk/Sunrise/Labyrinth Meditation (Weather permitting) or Journaling/Solitude
7.30-8.30 am: Morning Yoga
8:30-9:30 am: Breakfast
9.30 am-1 pm: The Rhythms of Life, Meditation practice
1-1.30 pm: Lunch
1.30-4 pm: Free time*
4-6 pm: Yoga Psychology – Cognitive Behavioral Reframing based on timeless wisdom, Science of Consciousness, and Meditation practice
6.30-7.30 pm: Dinner and Q- A
7.30-8.30 pm: Understanding the scientific basis of practices
Sunday, Aug 18:
7-8.30 am: Morning Yoga
8:30-9:30 am: Breakfast
9.30 am-1 pm: A new beginning of self-care routine
1.30-2.30 pm: Lunch and Q-A
Note: The schedule is subject to change to accommodate the flow of the course.
*Free time to enjoy a range of activities such as hiking, pottery, spa treatments, or simply unwind with a book whilst admiring the vastness of the mountain range
We recommend you to book the pottery and spa treatments in advance to avoid any disappointments.
639 Whispering Hills Rd, Boone, North Carolina 28607
Discover deep rest and rejuvenation in our tranquil sanctuary set amidst 380 pristine acres high up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone, North Carolina—the perfect place to begin your journey to wellness.
On-Campus Program FAQs
Unless otherwise indicated, our programs are open to participants 18 years of age and older.
- Refunds are available (less a $50 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guests not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however, guests may enjoy these items in their rooms.
Our property is always smoke-free.
Yes, we ask that guests with food allergies simply inform us so we can communicate those needs to our chef. Typically, we label potential allergens such as gluten, dairy, and nuts.
We do have lodging and event venues that are ADA-compliant. Due to the topography of our mountain campus, some are easier to access than others, so please speak to Guest Services (800.392.6870) prior to registering to ensure we can best accommodate your needs. We also have shuttles that run frequently throughout the campus.