Your primary dosha type is:
There is strength in the lightness of your being.
Elements: Air and Space
Vata dosha is ruled by the air element. You’re active and adaptable, you do things quickly and are easily energized but just as easily frazzled and overwhelmed.
Your mind is highly active and it can get the best of your sometimes. The key to embodying the positive elements of vata is to take your time. Don’t try to rush through everything. Focus on grounding your energy through deep breathing and eat warming nourishing foods. Physically, those with a primarily vata constitution are slender, with prominent joints and skin that tends to dry and crack easily. When you’re out of balance your sleep suffers and you can become hyperactive and scattered.
What to Avoid
- Raw vegetables and foods that take a lot of energy to digest.
- Anything that might interfere with your sleep—stimulants, going out late at night, screen time after a certain hour.
- Windy cold climates can dry your skin and exacerbate imbalances.
- Super intense cardiovascular exercise.
- Loud, stressful, chaotic environments.
What to Include
- Stay hydrated but try to stick to room temperature water or warm nourishing drinks.
- Calming relaxing movement practices like yoga, tai chi, or qigong.
- A daily routine that helps your ground your energy and relax—this might include meditation, journaling, a warm bath, or reading a good book.
- Herbs that help hydrate and ground—including cinnamon, ashwagandha, ginger, amla.
- Foods that help to hydrate your body and ground your energy with plenty of healthy fats—avocado, berries, whole grains, nuts.
- Treat your skin with hydrating oils that replenish moisture and strengthen your cells.
How to Care for Vata Skin
Vata skin is often quite thin and delicate, it can sometimes appear slightly see through. When balanced it’s quite normal, but when out of balance you may tend toward dryness and sensitivity.
It’s essential to avoid artificial ingredients and colors—these will exacerbate any imbalances. Look for hydrating, balancing skincare products that help strengthen, nourish and rejuvenate your skin deeply.
Look for these ingredients Sesame oil, hempseed oil, borage, amla, gotu kola, rose, calendula, lemon balm.