Depression affects million of people in many ways. Often, words like “debilitating”, “stagnating”, and “paralyzing” are associated with depression. One person’s depression may stem from anger and another person’s anxiety may have spiraled them into depression.
Whatever the case may be, diet can help to ameliorate the symptoms of depression. Carrot and ginger combine sweet, nourishing, and stimulating tastes and qualities that counteract the negative thoughts and feelings associated with depression.
RECIPE: CARROT-GINGER SOUP
4 medium carrots, cut into 2–3 inch chunks
1/2 small onion, rough chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of white pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1/2 cup almond milk
2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1. Heat ghee in a pan and sauté chopped ingredients until onion is clear and carrots are tender, about three minutes.
3. Add broth and stir for one minute.
4. Place broth/carrot mixture into a food processor along with remaining ingredients and blend for 2–3 minutes, or until smooth. Or, place all ingredients in a pot and use an immersion blender until smooth.
5. Heat in a medium-size pot before serving.
6. Pour into mugs or bowls and garnish with cilantro.
7. Let the hug wrap around you and the healing begin. 🥕🍜🧡
Anxiety, Depression, and Chronic Stress Wellness Retreat
Learn more about our evidence-based holistic healing program here.