In alignment with the CDC guidelines, all guests will be required to show proof of vaccination OR a lab-certified Covid-19 test that produced negative results taken within 72 hours of their arrival at the Center when checking in.
Appreciate What You Create
The Zentangle Method is a beautiful way to explore and create by drawing structured patterns in a simple step-by-step approach. Enjoy learning and practicing how to create patterns, link them together, and bring them to life with shadows and highlights—eliciting calm and focus.
During this workshop, we’ll concentrate on hands-on drawing and painting in black and white, specifically bringing to life all the shades of gray in between. We’ll apply in-depth Zentangle techniques and philosophies using an array of fun materials that allow us to learn and discover creative ways to express dimension using only black, white, and gray. As we dive into the unique marks each one of us has to make, we’ll look at the philosophical overlap such perspective has in our everyday lives and
- Renew your creative spirit
- Learn new tangles
- Work with new tools and materials
- Learn to respond creatively to unintended strokes
- Experience gratitude and appreciation for the creative space and surroundings.
Attendees are given a bounty of Zentangle supplies to use throughout the class, and bonus tools to take home to continue their practice.
Join Martha Huggins and Molly Hollibaugh, daughters of Zentangle founders Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, as they guide you on this tangled journey through darkness and light.
This program is open to everyone.
Recommended Reading Familiarity with the Zentangle Method is highly recommended. Please refer to these resources.
Note Previous attendees have shared that using a battery-operated task light is helpful.
Martha Huggins uses the Zentangle Method to bring focus to life metaphors and taps into her yoga experience to guide students through their own natural process of finding their creative side. Martha has spent the last 12 years assisting her parents, Zentangle founders Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, and making her own spiritual and creative discoveries on her Zentangle journey.
Molly Hollibaugh has been an artist ever since she can remember and sees herself as a natural creative soul. She studied art and design in college and went on to work in both furniture and jewelry design. She was introduced to Zentangle, in its infancy, by her parents, Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, the founders of this amazing creative outlet. …
The Zentangle Method
A Beyond the Basic Exploration into Shades of Gray
April 28–May 1, 2022
Subject to change.
Thursday 7:30–9:00 pm
Friday & Saturday 9:30 am–12:30 pm and 2:00–4:00 pm
Sunday 9:30 –11:30 am Room checkout is 11:00 am; luggage may be held at Reception.
All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST) unless otherwise noted.
4:00 pm Check-in begins; Rooms are ready by 4:00 pm, but if you arrive early we will hold your luggage at Reception.
6:00–7:00 pm Dinner
7:00–7:20 pm Guest Orientation Session (Venue: Dining Hall)
Actual schedules and venues may vary; please confirm with Front Desk upon check-in.
Apart from the activities in your program schedule, we offer the following optional complementary activities. (Please join only if your program schedule permits.)
- 9:45–10:45 am Yoga | Thu–Sun
- 11:00 am–12:00 pm Mind & Meditation | Thu–Sun
- 1:30–2:15 pm Guided Hike | Assemble at Shankara Reception | Sat
- 2:30–3:45 pm Ayurveda Cooking Class* | Tulsi Kitchen
Thu: Sweet Treats • Sat: Chef’s Seasonal Recipe
- 4:15–5:15 pm Yoga | Wed–Sat
- 5:30–6:00 pm Guided Meditation | Wed–Sat
- 7:30–8:15 pm Meditative Chants/Kirtan | Wed–Sat
Saturday kirtan is outdoor by the bonfire; weather permitting.
*Included with Wellness Escapes and R&R; Other participants: $35.00/per person
- 10:00 am–6:00 pm Saturday
Clay Handbuilding $35.00 (1 hour)
Throwing Wheel $45.00 (2 hours)
Hours: 9:00 am–6:30 pm daily
We invite you to also make reservations for consultations, therapies, and treatments at our award-winning Shankara Ayurveda Wellness prior to arrival in order to ensure availability. Please call 828-264-8382 for details. Additional cost.
Rooms & Pricing
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of checkout. (Rates below are per person.)
On-Campus Program FAQs
- Refunds are available (less a $50 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guest to not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however, guests may enjoy these items in their rooms.
Our property is always smoke-free.
Yes, we ask that guests with food allergies simply inform us so we can communicate those needs to our chef. Typically, we label potential allergens such as gluten, dairy, and nuts.
Boone, NC 28607
Discover deep rest and rejuvenation on our tranquil mountaintop campus set amidst 380 acres of pristine forest in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone, North Carolina.