View a listing of all our programs, workshops, and events—including our best-selling Happiness Retreat, Silent Meditation Retreat, and Ayurveda Wellness Cleanses.
Looking for crowd-pleasing appetizers to wow your guests this New Year’s Eve? Your hunt is over! We scoured the internet and find five (well, hundreds, but these are the ones that really caught our eye) vegan appetizers that will make your guests forget about wings, meatballs, and those little cocktail weenies.
Carrots in a Blanket
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
1 1/2 cup baby carrots, halved
1 Tbsp. coconut or olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1 generous tsp. dill
1 package vegan puff pastry, thawed
Classic yellow mustard for dipping
Originally posted on neuroticmommy.com Photo credit: neurotic mommy
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Boil carrots in water until just tender. Do not let them get super soft otherwise they may break.
- When carrots are done boiling, remove from water and let cool for 5 minutes off the stove.
- In a fry pan or skillet, heat up some coconut oil or olive oil. Toss in carrots with seasonings, salt, pepper, and dill, and cook until extra golden, 5–6 minutes. Make sure all carrots are coated with seasonings and oil.
- Roll out vegan pastry puff, and depending on how many carrots in a blanket you’re making, say 12, cut 12 rectangular pieces of the puff. Please note, do not cut them too wide or too small. You want it just the right size to where the carrot is sticking out of both ends.
- Roll carrots into vegan pastry puff. Wet finger tips with water, pinch and seal closed. Lay prepared carrots, pinched/sealed side down on baking sheet. Repeat until all carrots made are rolled and ready to go.
- Place in oven and cook 15—20 minutes or until pastry puffs are golden and crisp.
- Remove from oven, let cool 5 minutes before serving if you can wait! Serve with classic yellow mustard. Enjoy!
Prep time: 20 mins
3 Roma tomatoes seeds removed, diced
2 ripe avocados diced
⅓ cup red onion diced
15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
15 oz black eyed peas rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups frozen sweet corn thawed (I just usually toss it in the salad frozen unless I plan on eating it immediately, it thaws quite quickly)
1 bell pepper diced (color doesn’t matter)
1 jalapeno pepper seeds removed, diced into very small pieces
⅓ cup Cilantro finely chopped
Tortilla chips for serving
⅓ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice fresh preferred
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine tomatoes, avocado, onion, black beans, black eyed peas, corn, pepper, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss/stir well so that ingredients are well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour dressing over other ingredients and stir/toss very well.
- Keep refrigerated. If not serving immediately, be sure to toss/stir well before serving.
Crispy Garlic Breaded Mushrooms
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 20 mins
15-20 chestnut mushrooms
4 tbsp plain flour
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1.5 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp onion granules
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chickpea/gram flour
1/2 cup plant milk
~2 cups neutral flavored oil
1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chive
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the oil in a small saucepan on medium heat – you want it to fill about 1/3 of the saucepan.
- Get three bowls and in one place plain flour.
- In another place the chickpea flour and plant milk and whisk until smooth.
- In the last place the breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, herbs, paprika and salt. Mix well.
- Gently brush your mushrooms with a paper towel to remove any dirt.
- Place the mushrooms into the flour and coat well. Then dip into the wet mix, then the breadcrumb mix and then place onto a plate. Make sure you coat all layers well and the mushroom is completely covered. You may want to use one hand for the dry and the other for the wet or a fork to transfer so you don’t get too messy!
- Check the oil is hot my placing a drop of the wet mix in the oil, if it rises straight to the top it is hot enough.
- Place 2-3 of the breaded mushrooms into the pan at a time. Gently turn them over after a minute or two until they are golden brown all over.
- Repeat until all the mushrooms are cooked/the mixture is used up.
- Place the fried mushrooms on a tray with kitchen paper to soak up excess oil. You can place them in the oven in a low heat whilst the others cook.
- To make the dip mix the mayonnaise, chives and lemon and place in a bowl.
- Serve straight away and garnish with some extra chopped chives!
Vegan Gluten-Free Soft Pretzel Bites
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 20 mins
1 packet instant dry yeast
1 and 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. raw sugar
3.5-4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
9 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
For topping: “everything” bagel seasoning, salt, etc.
For dipping: honey mustard, Vegan Queso Hummus
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add yeast, water, salt, and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer, and whisk until combined. Attach the dough attachment to your stand mixer, turn the speed to medium-low, and slowly add your flour to the mixture until combined. The dough should come together and not be too sticky.
- Meanwhile, bring your water and baking soda to a boil in a large pot.
- Turn the dough out on a floured surface and form into a flat circle. Cut into 2-inch strips, then cut each strip into 1 and 1/2 – 2 inch bites.
- Take 5-10 bites and carefully drop them in your boiling baking soda water for 20-30 seconds. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and place on your prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with desired toppings – I went with “everything” bagel seasoning and flaky salt. Continue this process until all of the bites are boiled and topped.
- Bake 18-22 minutes, or until the pretzels are nice and golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside. Serve immediately – these get really dense and chewy after a few hours at room temp.
Sweet Potato & Avocado Bites
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 15 mins
2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into ¼-inch thick pieces
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
Sea salt, to taste
1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
1 large avocado, pitted
¼ cup fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon sea salt
5 cherry tomatoes, sliced into ⅛-inch thick pieces
½ cup radish sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the sliced sweet potatoes, cumin, paprika, olive oil, and sea salt to a bowl. Toss to coat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the sweet potato slices out into a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and ½ teaspoon sea salt and mash together with the back of a fork.
- Spread the sweet potato slices out of a serving platter or tray. Top each slice with a dollop of smashed avocado, one tomato slice, and a sprinkling of radish sprouts.
- Serve and enjoy!
A search of vegan New Year’s Eve appetizers will give you a thousand ideas. Look for vegan-friendly versions of your favorite snacks, or create your own! Wishing you and yours a very happy, healthy, and prosperous new year. <3
Small Group Inquiry Request
Note: You will receive an email confirming our receipt of your inquiry.
Our peak season runs April–November, so space fills up quickly during that time.