Of the six tastes—sweet, sour, salty, bitter, pungent, and astringent—the bitter taste is very beneficial in the treatment of diabetes due to its ability to help lower blood sugar.
Broccoli rabe, a bitter green, is an excellent source of vitamins A and K and is a good source of Vitamin C, folate, B vitamins, Iron, Magnesium Potassium, Phosphorus, Vitamin E, and manganese. You can add antioxidants to the list for broccoli rabe’s ability to fight free radical damage too.
Recipe: Broccoli Rabe with Toasted Sunflower Seeds
1 head broccoli rabe
1/4–1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds*
2 tsp ghee
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground fennel
1 tsp fenugreek
Juice of one lemon
1/2 c low or no sodium vegetable broth
- Fill a large pot with water (leaving room to submerge the broccoli rabe).
- Bring the water to a boil, submerge the broccoli rabe and cook for two minutes.
- Drain the broccoli rabe and set aside.
- Heat the ghee in a large pan on low to medium heat.
- Add the spices, coating them in ghee for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the broccoli rabe and sauté for about a minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, squeeze in the lemon, and cook until the broth and lemon are
heated through, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with sunflower seeds.
*Toasted Sunflower Seeds
1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut oil
1 cup (200 g) unshelled sunflower seeds
Salt to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in an 8-inch (20-cm) skillet and over medium heat until the oil has melted and coated the bottom of the pan smoothly. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the sunflower seeds to the hot coconut oil and sprinkle with salt to taste. Stir the seeds to coat them evenly in the salt and oil.
- Return the skillet to the stove top. Keep the heat set to medium and stir the sunflower seeds constantly to prevent them from burning.
- As soon as the seeds begin to show any color, reduce the heat to low. Continue stirring them until the majority of the seeds are a light to medium brown, or until they are toasted according to your preference.