What are the benefits of using essential oils in Ayurveda? They are plentiful! Using Ayurvedic oils for massage at home can help you manage weight, sleep better, achieve clearer skin, and de-stress. Vata and Kapha body types benefit most from warming oils, especially sesame oil to offer relaxation. Pitta people have a type-A temperament, so cooling oils, such as olive or coconut, help de-stress their mind. Here are three essential oils that you may want to add to a self-massage:
The calming, relaxing and anti-depressant properties of Patchouli oil make it effective in reducing stress, nervous tension, and anxiety, while stimulating creativity. Other benefits of patchouli are: its ability to improve metabolism, stimulate appetite and digestion, and regulate the body’s hormone and enzyme production.The major Ayurvedic health benefits of Patchouli essential oil are:
- The antibacterial properties of Patchouli help ward off allergies or infections.
- Improves mental clarity by diffusing jealousy and feelings of insecurity.
- Uplifts the mind and helps overcome depression.
Rosemary is touted for its memory-enhancing power and anti-depressant properties. Traditionally, issues treated with the oil include: halitosis (bad breath), upset stomach, headaches, insect bites and stings. Rosemary is among the few essential oils that must be in everyone’s medicine cabinet according to the book, “Ayurveda and Aromatherapy”. Primary benefits:
- The stimulating properties of rosemary oil improve stress-related disorders, nervous exhaustion, depression, dear, fatigue and anxiety.
- Improves memory and cognitive performance.
- Tonics for healthy hair and skin.
Sandalwood has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda for beauty, calming the mind and soothing an array of physical and emotional health problems. Sandalwood oil has the potential to benefit the reproductive and nervous systems, marrows, plasma, muscular and circulatory systems. The Ayurvedic health benefits of sandalwood oil include:
- The cooling effect on the brain and calming effect on the mind, which makes sandalwood oil the perfect meditation tool.
- Reducing pain, inflammation, digestive and respiratory issues.
- Repairs, rejuvenates and nourishes the skin and hair.
Listen to your own body and do not force yourself.
When using oils for massage, they have the best ability to pull out toxins if they’re cured before application. To cure, heat until boiling, remove from heat and cool, and store in an airtight container.