Discover Clarity in a Chaotic World
In a whirlwind of notifications and endless to-dos, finding a moment of pure focus is a rare gift. Join Zen priest, author, and tech expert Dan Zigmond for a transformative weekend retreat, where ancient wisdom meets modern challenges.
In today’s world, distractions are the norm. But amidst the buzz of modern life, we’ll learn to disconnect, slow down, and immerse ourselves in the ancient practice of Zen meditation. This experiential journey isn’t just about sitting still; it’s about rediscovering the power of presence in our fast-paced lives.
Throughout our time together, we’ll delve into the art of mindfulness through gentle schedules of meditation, thought-provoking lectures, and engaging group discussions. From the fundamentals of Zen Buddhist meditation to overcoming mental barriers, Dan guides us in cultivating a practice that fits our everyday lives.
Whether you’re a novice seeking to begin your meditation journey or an experienced practitioner craving new insights, this retreat is designed for all. Dan’s unique blend of Zen teachings and Silicon Valley expertise bridges the gap between ancient tradition and contemporary living.
- Zen Meditation Mastery Learn the timeless art of Zen meditation.
- Walking Meditation Explore mindfulness in motion.
- Mastering Attention Practice the art of being present in each moment.
- Daily Practice Reinforcement Start or rejuvenate your daily meditation routine.
- Overcoming Obstacles Gain insights into tackling common meditation hurdles.
- Integrating Mindfulness Apply meditation practices into your daily life.
Embark on this journey with us, and leave a more centered, fulfilled you—equipped with the tools to weave mindfulness seamlessly into your daily routine.
Open to All
Dan Zigmond is a Zen priest, writer, and technologist. He is a Guiding Teacher at Jikoji Zen Center, and has led teams at Apple, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Google. His most recent book is Buddha’s Office: The Ancient Art of Waking Up While Working Well.
Rooms & Pricing
Private Hotel Room
All options include daily vegetarian meals from dinner on the night of check-in through lunch on the day of checkout. (Rates below are per person.)
- King bed or two full beds
- Flat screen TV
- Private bath
- Hair dryer
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Daily delicious vegetarian meals
- Complimentary tea/coffee & fresh fruit
- Daily yoga & meditation classes
- Access to fitness & steam rooms
Meditation and Modern Life
A Zen Meditation Retreat
May 24–27, 2024
Subject to change.
Friday 7:30–9:00 pm
Saturday 9:30–11:30 am and 2:00–4:00 pm
Sunday 9:30–11:30 am, 2:00–4:00 pm and 7:30–9:30 pm
Monday 9:30–11:30 am Room checkout is 11:00 am; luggage may be held at Reception.
All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST) unless otherwise noted.
4:00 pm Check-in begins; Rooms are ready by 4:00 pm, but if you arrive early we will hold your luggage at Reception.
6:00–7:00 pm Dinner
7:00–7:20 pm Guest Orientation Session (Venue: Dining Hall)
Actual schedules and venues may vary; please confirm with Front Desk upon check-in.
Apart from the activities in your program schedule, we offer the following optional complementary activities. (Please join only if your program schedule permits.)
- 9:45–10:45 am Yoga | Thu–Sun
- 11:00 am–12:00 pm Mind & Meditation | Thu–Sun
- 1:30–2:15 pm Guided Hike* | Assemble at Shankara Reception | Sat
- 2:30–3:45 pm Ayurveda Cooking Class* | Tulsi Kitchen
Thu: Sweet Treats • Sat: Chef’s Seasonal Recipe
- 4:15–5:15 pm Yoga | Wed–Sat
- 5:30–6:00 pm Guided Meditation | Wed–Sat
- 7:30–8:15 pm Meditative Chants/Kirtan | Wed–Sat
Saturday kirtan is outdoor by the bonfire; weather permitting.
*Included with Wellness Escapes and R&R; Other participants: $35.00/per person
- 11:00 am–7:00 pm Friday & Saturday
Hand Building $55 | 1 hour
- 9:00 | 10:45 am Sunday
Wheel Throwing $75 all guests; glazing and shipping are included | semi-private class | 75 minutes
Wednesday 11:00–8:00 pm
Thursday–Saturday 9:00 am–6:00 pm
Sunday 8:00 am–2:00 pm
We encourage you to also make reservations for consultations, therapies, and treatments at our award-winning Shankara Ayurveda Wellness at least two weeks prior to your arrival date to ensure availability. Please call 828.264.8382 for details. Additional cost.
On-Campus Program FAQs
For room reservations, Ayurveda Wellness Retreats, and Art of Living Retreat Center (AOLRC) signature retreats, we have the following cancellation policy:
- Refunds are available (less a $50/per person processing fee) up to 15 days before your program or stay.
- Nonrefundable credit toward a future AOLRC program or stay (less a $50/per person processing fee) is available if you give notice between 14 and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any AOLRC program or stay for one year following date of issue.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
AOLRC reserves the right to cancel a program at any time. If AOLRC cancels a program, you will receive a full refund. Some programs may have special cancellation policies; see individual workshop descriptions. For all other retreats, please be sure to check the registration page specific to that retreat.
Unless otherwise indicated, our programs are open to participants 18 years of age and older.
To encourage a healthy environment we ask that guests not consume alcohol or meat in our public spaces, however, guests may enjoy these items in their rooms.
Our property is always smoke-free.